Forum

Southern Sun from New York - 222 threads

• Trek Talk

Southern Sun 9th September 2012

re: Looking for fellow Trekkers....

Hey Andrew and Tom

How are you both?

I'm booked onto this trek also, I too am travelling solo

It's good to find fellow trekkers, I'm really looking forward to the Southern Sun trek, roll on September!!

Just got to book my flights now

I'm from the UK, I live in Norwich

Rob

To post a reply you need to be a registered user and logged in.

Haha! Yeah! I know theres about 11 of us so far as i asked the trek people, so hopefully we should have a buzzing forum soon! I think theres 5 blokes and 6 girls!

Yeahh I am pretty smashing thanks!

Cool! Nice to meet you both!

I am travelling solo too, I am 24 and I come from Bedford!

Nah the southern sun will be infact my third trek america trip! I did the Canada road trip last year and the northern trail the year before! So, you could say ive become a bit hooked! Its such a good way of seeing a country though!

So what do you guys do for a living?

Tom

Trekaddict!

I'm an accountant (...i'll not bore you much more with that one!)

Booked all my flights but not accommodation yet....

I'm in New York for a full day before the Trek and LA for full day afterwards to see all the sights, chill, etc. Might even book on one of their Urban Adventures!

Anbody else got pre Trek plans and is everybody staying in the hotels recommended by Trek?

Andrew

Haha! Yeah you could say that mate!

Thats cool mate! Nice job!

Cool mate! If your planing on going to new york mate, i reccomend staying in a hotel/hostel in manhattan (new york) rather than the gateway hotel, as its actually in another state - (new jersey). i found out this out last year when i did another trip.. i booked three nights in the gateway hotel and found that in order to get into new york i had to get buses, trains etc  it took over an hour (one way) to get in! Oviously the night before the trip staying in the gateway hotel is advisable as the trek starts at the crack of dawn!

Yeah Ive booked the gateway hotel for the night before the trip and ive booked a night at the LA one too after the trip. I am not doing any pre or post nights! Havent got the dosh! Shame really! New Yorks awesome! 

Andrew - i really reccomend you stay at the gateway hotels before the trip (in new york). Its just less stressfull mate, knowing the place your in is where the trek will start. I think it would be a real pain in the arse trying to get from new york to the gateway hotel at the crack of dawn when everyones going to work! 

I also reccomend taking the following items mate;

- Ear plugs

- a roll mat - trek america do provide them but they are old and they do pong abit!

- Head torch

- Microfibre towl - You dont really get a great deal of time to dry towels etc, so a quick drying microfibre towels are the ones to take

- Dont take too many clothes - Basically all of the  campsites have washing facilities so theres no real need to take three weeks worth of clothes!

Sorry for blabbering on mate, its just that when i did my first one 3 years ago the trek people didnt really give me any indication of what to expect, so ive almost made up my own trek equipment list!

Tom

Hi Andrew, Tom and Rob!

I'm booked on this tour too with 3 others (my boyfriend Clive and our friends Beth and Trev) so we make up 4 of the tour!

We're staying in New York 1 night before heading to the gateway hotel the night before so looks like we've all got the same idea!

We're all really excited about it, it's our first trek so we're complete newbies!!

Amy

Hello!

Hey All!

As Amy said, we make up 4 of the group and we're all complete trek newbies, so thanks for the tips Tom!

What's everyone looking forward to the most?

At the moment i'm just giddy that i'm going to New York, the rest hasn't really sunk in yet! Never been to America so am really excited.

Beth

Hey everyone

Well Tom I'm 25 and what I do for a living is I am an Ops tech on a fixed gas rig/installation in the Southern North Sea (not everyones cup of tea, but I enjoy it)

I've booked all my flights and accomodation, I'm flying into New York the day before the trek is due to start and I am staying an extra day in LA after the trek finishes, probably see a few more sights or just chill out somewhere...beach maybe!

I am just staying in the gateway hotels that Trek supply, pre and post trek.

Hi Amy, it's great to hear there are others booked on this trek, where are you all from?

Rob

We're all from Kent, though on the very edge of south east london in a little village, myself and Beth work in london and James and Clive work locally. I won't bore you with all our occupations etc lol.

we're all booked with flights/hotels etc so nothing left to do now but go :) it's quite interesting reading all the forums and seeing all the advice.

do any of you know what the weather will be like in September? It'll be my birthday towards the end of the trek so that should be fun but i'd love for it to be hot! haha

Amy

Hi everyone!

Cant believe there's so many already booked on this date...could be two busses running at this rate!

Thanks for the tips Tom - ill add them to my list .

It all looks and sounds amazing (I think I must have ready every comment on Facebook and here lol!). Looking forward to New Orleans and Grand Canyon the most at the minute though.

Is everybody planning on doing all the optional activities?

Andrew

Hey People!

Its good to talk to this many people before the trip! Cool! I am glad to the info came in handy guys! If you want any more advice just drop me a message! Its a pain this live forum as it doesnt seem to let you know when another person has posted something on the forum? does anyone else find this?

I must say I am looking forward to New Orleans, Grand Canyon and Vegas the most! Wanted to go to those places for yonks! 

I did the Northern Trail a couple of years ago and it did get pretty warm towards the end of the trip around LA sort of area, so fingers crossed we should be lucky!! 

If my wallet allows I am going to try and get involved with all the activities! A helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon is top of my list though!

So guys what made you all want to do a camping trek across America? 

Tom

Oh yeah Andy, I payed off some more of my trip yesterday and the lady said that the 9th September has been such a popular date that they have had to put another bus on! Mad! Gonna be a moosssive group!! haha!

Tom

Hi Guys, 

I have just booked onto this Trek. Its going to be my first solo trek, kind of excited! 

It sounds like there is going to be a lot of us! 

I can't wait for New Orleans and the Grand Canyon! I hope to do all the extra activities, but depends on money! 

Lyane 

WoooHooo...Mega Excited

Hey Everyone

I am also booked on this trip... So very excited... Always been a dream of mine to visit USA. 

So happy to see that there will be lots of fun people joining me... U all seem very nice :-)

Just wanted to say hey and introduce myself 

Jimmy 

hey :) well my names emma, im 21 and im from devon!

This will be my first of many (i hope!) treks, and i'm going on my own! Ahh! I think the thing im most nervous about is flying on my own and finding the hotel etc... i'm hoping to stay in the trek hotel both ends in NY and in LA. I'm not too bothered about seeing much of New York before the trek, seeing as though my flight doesn't get into Newark until 1pm. Whats everyones plans? xxx

Hey, 

I'm 20 (will be 21 when we go, so timed it well) and I am from Hertfordshire. 

I am planning on flying out the day before the trek and staying in the gateway hotel there, afterwards think I am just going to get a late flight the next day out of LAX and just see things in the morning. Have been there before so not too fussed! I am soo excited, wish the time would come quicker! 

Lyane 

Hey... A Little about me..

Hey Everyone 

Just wanted to follow suit and give a little info on me....

Its my first trek also and i am very nervous but very excited too. I am so happy i know some names and faces as when i arrive at the hotel, I can look out for people :-) It has always been a massive dream of mine to travel to america and to see some amazing sights and i am literally counting down the days...I am 28 and will be travelling alone but i am very much an open, chatty person. So will hopefully make lots of friends on the trek...

I am currently living in norfolk, However thats only through work as i am a northern lad. I currently work as a manager for an entertainment company

Speak Soon

JimBo

re: Hey... A Little about me..

hey guys :) what is everyones plans for after the trip?

I'm planning on staying in LA until wednesday 3rd october, just wondered if anyone was planning on doing anything similar? And if anyone is staying in LA, where are you going to stay because the gateway hotel is more than i was planning on spending! xx

Hey Emma

How you doing?

Unfortunatly I am going back the day after the end of the trek! I went to LA a few years ago you see and i think ive seen enough of it to be honest! I am sure staying after though! Its quite a legendary place!

I would suggest that you find a youth hostel in LA which is near to the places you want to visit, as the hostel will be alot cheaper than the hotel and it wont cost you much to travel to and from places of interest. I made that mistake last year in New York! I booked 4 nights in the gateway hotel which i thought was in the centre of manhattan but it wasnt! It was in another state completly! It took me about half an hour to get into manhattan and cost me £10 per journey!

Tom

Hi all again! Only 4 months to go!! We're all getting very excited and are always chatting about things we're looking forward to! We're wondering tho, when does the season end for whitewater rafting? It says its depending on the season as to whether its an optional activity but it doesn't seem to give much info on the itinerary and I can't find anyone talking about in other boards! Lol

Hi lyane and Emma, nice to see some other girls are booked on too! :) 

Amy

Hi Emma, yea I know what you mean! we're just gonna take a normal suitcase as by reading other forums there seem's to be a general consensus that living out of a backpack seems to be a pain in the backside (i.e the thing that you want is always buried at the bottom so not very convenient!) not to mention suitcase are generally more hardwearing with being thrown into back of a van. gonna be hard deciding whether to 'travel light' though! lol.

anyone else counting down the days?!

Amy

Hey!

3 months today and i'll be in New York - whos counting?

Hopefully the weather will be slightly better over there!

Has anybody got an update on the number of people booked - last I heard in April was that there are 14.

Andrew

whos going? would be nice to get to know people before we go :-)

Hey Guys

I'm booked on the 9th sep NY-LA too!

I'm Jem (Jay)

I thought I better start looking into what I'm letting myself in for, this is my first Trek America Tour and with the Crappy UK weather at the moment  im counting down the days to the trip, wuhoo!

I heard there were 2 vans going that date too

i arrive 8th into Ny at 1pm and fly out of LA at 5.55pm 30th Sep, so about half a day each side of the trip, unfortunately the boss wouldnt let me have anymore time of work lol

i was either going to bring my backpack or a roller holdall type thing, the only worry was the tents, as they are prob tiny so we cant drag a suitcase in our tents can we? oh and is anyone getting one of their US SIM cards or are you all just takig your normal smart phones etc?

p.s i may have added some of you as friends so please accept me im not a werido, honest ;-)

jx

re: whos going? would be nice to get to know people before we go :-)

Hi Jem/Jay!

nice to 'meet' you! we're on the 17:35 flight back to LHR on 30th from LAX - are u staying in their gateway hotel? we are!

Yea i think we're gonna get 1 of their USA sim cards, though i'l take my iphone just in case we're ever somewhere with free wifi! most of the time it'll prob be buried in my suitcase somewhere though. Am also gonna take advantage of the free currency card things. how much is everyone take for spending money? also did anyone else get that email about prebooking the canyon helicopter flight? think i'm gonna do that do save some cash...anyone else? gonna need to check which date we'll be doing it tho.

I'm gettin SO excited, flying out 10 weeks today! which means in about 4 weeks we'll all be 'officially' linked through here as fellow trekkers :)

Amy 

Yes staying in their recommended hotel but my flight details are:

BA 282 O 30SEP 7 LAXLHR 1755  - i guess your flying with a different airline maybe?

What flight are you getting out there?

I saw teh helicopter thing, was probably going to try book it at the end of july but yeh I am not sure what date it is, unless we ring and they know?

hows the call card thing work?

Im really only going to use my phone to use free wifi to update where i am and check in with the parents or something every now n then, i prob wont use it more than that but is the SIM free?

yay 10 weeks, u best pay it off its due this month isnt it xx

Hi there Jem/Jay! Nice to meet you too!

Yeah i saw that helicopter tour too! Definatly gonna book that, the one i went on in Canada was epic! 

Yeah the Sim is free, but to use it you need to top it up with credit and you can do this over the phone whether you in the States or in the UK. The only problem i have come across is that if you get the Sim card early from Trek america and top it up with credit, and dont use any of the credit before the trip the Sim card will deactivate itself, which is a right pain in the behind! I found this out last year! Also remember to take a phone thats Tri-band or the phone wont work atall out in the states! Shouldnt have any problem if you can a smartphone though, but a Nokia 3310 is a no, no!! haha!

Jay id reccomend taking a suitcase as a rucksack can be a pain to find stuff in and also you dont actually do any trekking with all your belongings! As a matter a fact all your belongings do is go back and forth between the tent and the trailer (literally metres!). Ive taken a wheelie suitcase on the last two treks ive done and its been fine! The Tents are pretty large too! You can easily get two people and two large suitcases in them, no worries!

Hope this helps!

Where abouts are you from in the UK?

Tom

Hey Everyone,

I have just paid it all off, its getting close now, I am sooo excited!!! :D

Just wondering if anyone knows the date that we would be doing the helicopter flight? And is anyone planning on booking it beforehand or just once we get there??

Thanks for the info about suitcases etc... Tom, didn't think about the whole unpacking issue with a rucksack, so suitcase it is :)

Cannot wait!

Lyane

Hey Lyane

I phoned trek america about the Grand Canyon flight a couple of days ago and they said that they have withdrawed the offer now as they said it was a nightmare to organise!! So they said to just book it with the trek leader when your on the trek!

No worries!

Have a good weekend guys!

Tom

hey

I paid of all mine in full the other day wuhoo, i too asked about the helicopter thing, looks like we will just have to remember to budget for it when we are out there but im def interested.

funnily enough i already bought a holdall thing with wheels the other week wasnt expensive and thought i dont need to carry it on my back and il get more in a holdall...got a self inflating matt as well which i hope doesnt weigh too much.

all the names are released for our trip at 6 weeks i think so that should be cool to find out if anyones on my flight there.

Tom im from the south, portsmouth way im flight from heathrow 8th sep 10.55 i tihink if anyones on that one.

il try speak to orange before i go and mayb do teh sim thing last minute?

how much money is everyone going to take?xx

HELLO!

It keeps dawning on me that in about 8 weeks I will be getting ready to travel across america. OH MY! To say that im excited would be a massive understatement!! Im looking to take about £1500 spending money... whats everyone else taking? i keep worrying that wont be enough but then again i'll be in america so i wont care about much else! I haven't really thought about a phone as il just take my blackberry and use any free wifi we find along the way. Paid off my balance a few weeks ago!

Are people bringing full on hiking boots? Or just relying on things such as converse to do the job?! Bought myself a new camera the other week in prep! I fly out on saturday the 8th from heathrow at around 10am... cant quite remember! Im staying in LA after the trek till wednesday 3rd october then flying to seattle to see some family so my trip will be slightly extended.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE! eek!

emma x

hey Em

£1500 will prob be the max i can scrape together for the trip...we should be fine anyway as alot of out meals will be at camp i guess and americas cheap for food, it will be the activities we gota think about.

i may be on the same flight as you so at least maybe youl know someone at the airport lol...wish i could stay on longer or id do a bit more of Cali but cant take more holiday.

Rekon we will go to 6flags or anything within our trip?love theme parks

this weather is so crap, i desp need to get away so counting down the days...do you guys rekon most of the time it will be summer type weather except NY?x

hey :)

i reckon NY will be hot and sticky as its still summer for them. I arrive at newark at 1pm their time. Is anyone else around that afternoon/eve? we could possibly venture into manhatten? or is it too far to go? My flight is on saturday from heathrow at 10:15, i'v just double checked :) I reckon 1500 might be pushing it for me, but im not too bothered about shopiing etc, just getting some awesome pictures, a wicked tan and do some amazing activities!

I cant wait for zion NP or white water rafting!!

bring it on!! xx

i checked the other day and its about half hour or so from NY centre and by looks of it fasted and cheapest way is by train i think, but im def up for NY exploring as i dont think we spend much time in NY,  besides NY the city that never sleeps so doesnt matter if we go late afternoon etc

ive done rafting in oz it was one of my fav things ever so def going to be doing that, bit of horse rising like a texan and flying over the canyon......think i might bring my SLR camera too as well as my compact....which i will be guarding with my life! lol, theres gota be some awesome views along the wayx

Hi all again!

I got myself one of their ekit sim cards the other day and it's arrived already so need to work out which phone i'm gonna put it in, most prob just gonna put it in my iphone - other people are welcome to use it to call home etc if they want as that's all I'l be using it for anyway! 

We're aiming for £1000 each to take with us and that's the absolute max we're gonna be able to scrape together, but I've tried to calculate the cost of doing every single activity and - unless i'm worse at maths than I thought - that should just about cover it! defo gonna be cheaper to eat, and as you say - its the activities that will be worth it! saying that...Clive's up for a couple of food challenges if anyone wants to join him?! haha! we've been watching way too many man vs food!

the 4 of us are gonna be in NY city on the 7th then heading out to the gateway hotel on the 8th so it would be cool to all meet up in a local bar there before? really looking forward to meeting everyone! Clive's hoping to find a cheap guitar to get to take with us for entertainment whilst camping.

about the shoes, i really don't wanna have to wear hiking boots (no sock tan line please!! haha) so we're gonna look at some trekking sandals or something, what's everyone else doing?

we've paid it all off now, so it really is just a matter of counting down the days! 

cannot wait!! Amy/Clive x

im taking my karrimor sandle things but will prob chuck in my old trainers or walking shoes just incase.

i love man v food, altho if its spicy il be out the game lol so no texmex for me im afraid

anyone checked out the youtube videos from previous trips, makes me get excited

i cant wait to finally get my summer stuff out this year lolx

hey :)

i am so excited about the food! i will take him on, i am in love with that show! not sure im gunna bring any kind of hiking shoes or boots, probably gunna rely on converse/vans or something similar! will we be going on many nights out do you reckon? deffo up for drinks the night before we leave! break the ice etc. Is anyone bringing a kindle? im sure wether its worth me buying one? x

Hi all,

Just payed my balance off too - time has flown by since I booked it!

My flights are below....anybody on same one's?

BA 189 O 07SEP 5 LHREWR 1615 1855
    BA 278 O 01OCT 1 LAXLHR 1540 1000+1

I'm definately up for the food challenge...let's make it a beer challenge too (...even though i'm diabetic!) !

Hopefully I'm not too jetlagged when I get there and will probably go straight to bed on the Friday ready to tour New York all of Saturday before the tour starts - if anybody's wanting somebody to go around NY with then feel free to join me...i've never been there before and can imagine it's quite daunting on your own?

I think i'll take my Kindle for the flights and if I get bored on the long journeys, which is unlikely.

I've also phoned about the Grand Canyon flights but been told to book on tour - was looking at doing the 45 minute one.

Aiming to take $2000 (Approx £1300) - with $100 of that to 'potentially waste' on Roulette in Vegas ($100 on black!!) lol.

Not long nowww!

Andrew

Not long now.

Hey everyone. 

Havent been on here for a while but wanted to say hello to everyone. I hope everyone is really excited like me, it's all I keep thinking about. 

I am really looking to makinG amazing friendships and having an unforgettable time!! 

I arrive in new York on the Friday, so I'll hopefully meet someone in the bar, 

My only question is how mch is everyone taking in dollers ? 

Jimmy 

re: Not long now.

Hi everyone! I didn't realise this was all going on! =) It's good to see that everyone seems so friendly! It's not long now, coming round really quickly! I'm staying the night before so hopefully will see some of you before the trek! So excited!!! =D hope you are too!

Beccy x

Hi Beccy, 

I am the same, I don't get into Newark till 19:10...you on the virgin flight from heathrow?? I would love to meet up with people but just concerned that 7pm will be UK midnight and having to be up again for half 7. I am staying in the gateway hotel so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to go out for a bit though really, I'll just have to sleep on the plane haha! :) 

Honestly can't wait now, just starting to get everything sorted a buy the little bits I need. 

xx

Hi Lyane

I'm on the same flight! I wasn't expecting that! =) We could try meeting at Heathrow then if you'd like? I didn't mean anything too heavy for the first night, only the hotel bar. Sleep is still on my list of priorities! lol. xxx

I didn't expect it either, as it gets into Newark kind of late for us. But I got such a good deal on expedia I had to take it haha. Meeting in Heathrow sounds good to me! I shall send you a message and we can sort stuff out. It will be nice to have someone to travel with :) And hotel bar is a good idea! xx

Hey everybody! 

My name is Lora, I'm 23 and I'm from Glasgow, first trek for me and I'm going solo, nervous but pretty damn excited! Feeling relieved to find so many of us lot on here :) I've also booked an extra day in NY and LA, excited to hear loads of you have done the same! I'm also staying in the Gateway hotel. Is anyone booked on the London Heathrow flight on the 7th in the afternoon by any chance? 

Excited to meet you all :) 

Lora x

9th September :)

Hey guys. So I booked mega last minute  just paid like two days ago! I'm on this trek alone but I'm so excited to see cool places and meet some new people! I'm from Manchester England, 21 and iv been working on Fire island NY for 3 month snow, I'm loving the states and cannot wait to see more. What ate people doing Saturday night??

• Meet Your Trekkers
  • Help & Feedback